It's Mother's Day soon and so I have been thinking about the whole motherhood subject. I read an article in
Redbook that talked about different ways of motherhood (an interesting read) and how some moms have chosen to raise their children (lifestyle)--none of which I choose. Honestly, I am realizing more prevalently each and every day that I am stuck in the Utah County Mormon bubble (it definitely has it's own culture). The way I think and sometimes the things I say are so "inside the box". I am comfortable in the
bubble-box and I sure feel safe here, but sometimes I wish I could experience life elsewhere. I wonder if I would handle challenges differently or long for the
bubble-box. I know I take many nice/convenient things for granted like nearby church buildings & temples, sunday school & primary teachers, LDS neighbors and sometimes even family support. Would I be as dedicated in my faith if those conveniences disappeared? Would I be more proactive about teaching my boys Gospel principles at home because there wouldn't be supportive teachers or family to back me up? Hmmm...
...back to motherhood...I have learned so much in the years since I became a mother (I think mother is an action word). It's interesting how I've changed from kid #1 to kid #3. You know, a bit more laid back, not as skeptical to parenting techniques (or desperate to try something new), not worried about the same kind of things. Time and experience create change--sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Hopefully, my experiences have helped me move toward good or better changes in my life.
One thing I can always count on is all of the wonderful mothers I observe every day. Whether they are my neighbors, friends, sisters, mothers, or someone I've never met--someone, somewhere makes an impression on me and gives me new ideas, good advice, encouragement, or a pat on the back to "just keep swimming" (that's funny because I really don't know how to swim :)).
Thank you to ALL mothers in action!!
My Mother's Day bouquet
(Brian was out of town over Mother's Day)
so it was a good thing he sent flowers :)
2 comments:
You are one of my most favorite "mothers".. I love you!! :O)
What a great and straight from the heart post! You are a great Mother and a great example!!!
Post a Comment