We all know that Thanksgiving Day comes EVERY fourth Thursday in November. Sometimes, I get the "it's the same every year" attitude....and Black Friday is beginning to take over the Thanksgiving Day festivities, thus, I skipped it this year--phew!
Perhaps I get this, not so good, attitude because most years T-Day really is the same for our family each year (come and gone) since my parents and Brian's parents live in the same town, almost the same neighborhood and in the same ward boundaries--and most of the family lives nearby. We don't have the excitement of traveling someplace different to meet and greet family members we haven't seen for a while. In fact, I have never had a Thanksgiving holiday with anybody else but my own parents/siblings and in-law parents/siblings. What I mean is--no aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. like most folks do. And our families frequently get together for a nice meal so sometimes Thanksgiving Dinner seems like another nice meal together.
I need to get over that "same old thing" feeling and view each family gathering as unique--this is my plight to myself to make each coming family event fun and exciting (even if it does seem like the same old thing)!!
On the other hand....I love that Thanksgiving time prompts me to ponder all of my wonderful blessings and to renew my gratitude for my Savior, Jesus Christ and a loving Heavenly Father, special friends, examples of stalwart folks and a loving, fun, supportive and accepting family. That's what Thanksgiving Day is all about anyway, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment