Please notice that I have changed my blog background in honor of the
Cherry Season
If you've never participated in being employed at a cherry processing plant then you won't know what I'm talking about.
And for those of us who have had the lovely experience of working at Muir Roberts, McMullins or Payson Fruit Growers you know all about it. Oh, those were all the FUN TIMES! I worked at Muir Roberts for 4 or 5 summers. The longer you worked at the same plant the better the job the managers gave you (less monotonous) and by the last year I had been promoted to "forklift trainee"--how exciting! The funny thing is I don't like anything with cherries in it (ie. cherry pie), maybe that's why I survived so many years processing them. Hee! Hee! I just loved wearing those poofy hair nets, cheap plastic aprons and those rubber gloves that wore out in about 2 hours (and after 2 weeks of sorting thru cherries your hands were stained reddish-black), ear plugs that had the string in between them (so in case you lost one you would lose both?), cherry stained clothes and shoes, and the smell! Oh, the smell of rotten cherries--ugh!
Now-a-days, I love driving past the orchards in Santaquin and seeing the cherry trees in the Spring covered in white, fluffy blossoms and seeing the trees loaded with bright red balls come Summer.
I have always thought it would be fun to get a group of ladies together and work the cherries, for old times sake, and then take a vacation with the money we earned--wouldn't that be a BLAST?
Who's IN?
9 comments:
YES! I worked in the Cherries for 2 seasons - not as ambitious as you.
I babysat for the main boss, so I got to be the person who picked sticks and dead birds out of the main vat where they dump the cherries. The next year I got to be the person who does Q.A. for pits and reports how many pits were found coming off of each pitter in case there was a problem. I really wanted to be the sugar lady, but apparently I was not cool enough so I didn't try out for a 3rd year and went to work at the Burger Barn instead.
Thanks for reminding me of those memories!
Believe it or not...Abbie is starting at Payson Fruit Growers on Thursday!!! I am so proud! LOL!
I will never forget walking down the train tracks with you when I suggested/we decided to work cherries for your (6th?) summer. You shouted, "OH HELL, not again!!!" LOL. Oh the fun times we had!
Hope, Maybe I worked just 5 seasons, but it sure seems like 6!
I worked every year after I turned 16 until I went to school. Payson Fruit Growers, I can't drive past without slightly vomiting in my mouth. I don't like cherries anymore.
Thank goodness I did grow up here! I just had to work at a tire store growing up! LOL
I might work cherries for DISNEYLAND!!
Looks and sounds like you've been having lots of fun! Love the pictures!
Yeah, I don't like cherries anymore, either. The good old days!! ONe year I worked on the top line that came straight from the bins outside. I got to pick out lots of fun stuff like dead baby birds, broken egg shells, dead bugs and sticks. That was my favorite, not! My last year working there was great!! I was the night secretary and basically didn't have any work to do after 9:00 so I bugged everyone else that was suppose to be working. FUN TIMES!!
Hey i am In. I was going to work this year, but I got the Stake camp calling so that changed my mind. Those were some great times. I am not a real cherry fan anymore. I loved the friends I made there.
Post a Comment