Brian has been out of town on an employment assignment for TWO WEEKS and the boys and I are still alive and going strong. TDA is Friday late evening so 5 more days to go! I am always amazed at the strength that comes when I'm left solely in charge of the kids, the household, the homework, the garden, the mowing, the shopping, the bedtime, etc.
After a few nights of being home alone I'll check the doors to be sure they are secure only once or twice instead over and over (but I do lay the ironing board across the floor in front of our old, broken door), I don't panic when the backyard motion light flips on, either (it's just some dumb cat strolling through the yard), and I even get brave enough to turn off the front porch light for the night.
When Brian is away from home my prayers become a bigger protection, sort of like a home security system, I have to trust in the Lord that we will be kept safe from harm. I always pray that we will ALL be safe and sleep soundly because a grouchy mom mixed with grouchy kids doesn't turn out very good especially when I know that "dad" won't be home tonight to relieve me. I know that Heavenly Father blesses me and the boys with those simple things so we can all keep going in peace (for the most part). Most times when Brian goes for a week or two (or three), I get stressed out and soon feel like I can't hold things together for one more minute and I turn into a raging lunatic!
This "trip" has been the longest Brian has been gone in his travels with work, so far, and even though I'm in charge for 5 more days, I feel a sense of accomplishment because I haven't turned into that raging lunatic (knock on wood). I know Brian has prayed for my sanity and that the boys will be good. I have felt his prayers each day and I acknowledge it each night as I review how the day went and how each of us handled different situations, AND because we all made it through the WHOLE sacrament meeting today with ZERO problems--this is a miracle--and I'm not kidding when I say miracle. It truly is one of those small miracles that keeps the faith alive.
So, here's to the next 5 days.....
4 comments:
yep - single momhood is difficult when dad is away for work. Hope things continue to go well for the rest of the week.
I love the ironing board/home security alarm trick!
Glad it is going well. Give me a ring if you need anything. BTW, Marie and I are planning on going to Brent's house Friday to visit for a while. Are you interested in coming?
You are amazing. Seriously!!
Glad it is going well. I remember when Gary used to travel out of town Taylor was 3 Garrett was a baby when he would get home on the weekend I would want a date and time away from the kids and he wanted to be home because he had been gone then he wanted a home cook meal. It took him awile to realize I needed a break.
Post a Comment