Sunday, May 18, 2008

Running With Angels

Yesterday I participated in the "Running With Angels 5K". I have run in this event since their first year in sponsoring a 5K in 2005. It is held at Thanksgiving Pointe Gardens so it is a gorgeous run through the gardens.

Running With Angels is the title of a book written by a lady named Pamela Hansen who lives in Orem, Utah. Working through the sadness and grief caused by her two children's deaths (now her angels--hence the title Running With Angels), and the illnesses two of her other children face, brought on much of her struggle with obesity and never found time to spend on herself. She candidly discusses the pain of living life as an obese person and the hopelessness that accompanies it. More importantly, she offers practical suggestions for anyone trying to reach a goal, particularly a goal of weight loss, and shows how small steps over time can help you realize your dreams. Her recovery started with a walk that lasted 10 minutes and was the beginning of an amazing journey that ultimately led to a 100-pound weight loss (without surgery or pills) and the fulfillment of her dream to run a marathon--all in just over one year. Pam shares an honest and open portrayal of both her struggles and success with weight loss, using a marathon race as a metaphor for facing life's challenges.

This year, I went with the goal to finish this run (3.2 miles) in less than 30 minutes. I DID IT!! I crossed the finish line at 29:30 (which is 2 1/2 minutes faster than my regular treadmill time) so I'm feeling pretty good about it :)

As I stood near the finish line, waiting for family members to finish, it was amazing to watch the other runners/walkers cross the finish line knowing that they had a story and that they WERE running with angels...their angles. I got a little emotional(but it was a "good cry" if you know what I mean). This is always a good, fun run that holds a unique spirit and enforces positive feelings. So get your running shoes out of storage and plan for next year.....I'll be there!

1 comment:

{Mo} said...

You go girl! I hadn't even heard of this.... I'll have to check it out! I can't even immagine running that far? I'm getting to the point that I want to MAYBE try running, but I'm still not sure! Anyhow, WAY TO GO!