Monday, January 18, 2010

Human Rights

Boy, do I feel grateful for the rights I have as a citizen of the blessed United States of America! Even though we have political leaders that aren't meeting my expectations, this land is truly a promised land. We are blessed that our children can go to school, that we can attend church, visit the doctor when needed, drive to the grocery store every day and that I can speak to anyone I want to.

I asked my boys this morning if they knew why they had the day off from school. They didn't know why. I asked if they knew who Martin Luther King, Jr. is. Then David piped up and said, "Oh, he's the guy who gave a speech." Time for a history lesson--as I explained to the boys the changes MLK help make in the lives of the black people, I realized at how far we've come (for the most part) in accepting everyone no matter where they originated. I am amazed that those acts or movements for Human Rights have integrated to all ethnic backgrounds and I am grateful for the feelings I have towards others that are not white, like me. Yeah, yeah, sometimes it seems like all of the other countries are infiltrating ours, but this land is a promised land.

God Bless America and all who live here no matter their color or station!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Well said! Though I am not a fan of MLK because of some of the other things he stood for and was a part of, he did do a great thing for the Human Rights movement.