9:00 a.m. church with Sacrament Meeting last---that's our new schedule. That means Saturday night baths for the kids and we need to get YW/Primary lessons ready by Saturday night too (no more last minute tweeks morning of). We got up this morning and had ourselves and everybody ready by 8:30 this morning without any grief, it was a miracle and a blessing.
Fasting has always been a challenge for me because a lot of times I'm just going without food. I have experimented with the whole fasting thing and I find it more fulfilling when I am praying with purpose. So I wonder why I just "starve" sometimes (hmm)? I'm thankful for the opportunity to join the Hoffmeier's in their fast last week. It was good to fast with prayer and purpose. As this Sunday rolled around I thought I would skip this "fast Sunday" because I'd already met the quota, so to speak. But, yesterday, my mom asked that if we weren't fasting for something else to please pray and fast for my Dad--he has a scheduled Dr. appointment to see a kidney specialist. His family Dr. referred him after taking a blood test that indicated that my Dad's kidneys are not functioning properly. Do you think I would really NOT fast for my Dad? I suggested she call the rest of the family for a family fast (siblings) because strength is in numbers :) Just a little note: My Dad is very quiet about his health and health issues and my mom tries to keep it all a secret, too, but sometimes when she gets very worried she has to talk about it to someone. Anywho, after a little reluctance, she called all my brothers and sisters and we all fasted in our individual families for my Dad's health and that the Dr. would be able to have a quick diagnosis and an expedient treatment plan. Dad will see the Dr. tomorrow.
So, for the past couple of Sunday's we've fasted with prayer and purpose--it's amazing how you really don't feel hungry. It has helped me practice the knowledge that I already have about the Law of the Fast and that fasting with purpose and prayer is much easier and more comfortable than just "starving", not to mention the spiritual growth gained through obedience to the Lord.
....Ask me about the miracle....
I've had some good learning and testimony growing the past couple of weeks and I'm glad Heavenly Father allows me to keep re-learning principles and allows my testimony to keep on growing.
5 comments:
Marilee~
Thank you for this post....I needed it. I am a horrible faster, usually I just simply forget, which is no excuse, I need to be better. I'd love to hear about your miricale sometime. I must be slower than most, because I feel like I'm constantly re-learing things I should know. Thankfully I have good friends that remind me of theings I need to work on! Thanks again, Monica
Oh hey, what's going on with the Hoffmeiers?
What a nice post. I think we all need that reminder and encouragement sometimes. I hope everything will be okay with your Dad.
Corrie's mom needs a liver transplant ASAP! So, they asked everybody to fast for her. She is waiting for a liver still and isn't doing very well. It will all work out for the best, though.
Thank you for the comments! I have truly felt the same way. Sometimes the fasting itself can be the blessing. It reminds us what is important. I feel my testimony is strengthened each time I do something that is difficult-but required. Thank you! I love ya more that you know.
Hey Laney lady! Just found you on Mary Beth's blog! Woohoo!
Post a Comment