Holy Toledo! So I went to Youth Conference last week and, boy, was it C-O-L-D!! I hate being cold. The weather was miserable...it rained and rained on us, but somehow we all survived (I think it was because we had each other to lean on). We huddled around the fire so much that I can't get the campfire smell to go away. It was a neat experience and once again I proved my immaturity at the dance. We came home on Friday which was a warm and sunny day and we didn't want to come home.
On Saturday I participated in the Women in the Outdoors event. I had a mountain biking class, a dutch oven cooking class, and I took a concealed weapons class (totally out of character). Again, it was very cold!! I was glad to get home and sleep in my own bed--my poor hips, neck and back were really achy from sleeping in a tent for 3 nights. I started to miss my boys, too!!
So then I was asked to share some thoughts about my Youth Conference experience in Sacrament Meeting (lovely). So here's my little typed up talk I gave:
The Lord had a plan.....our Stake leaders had a plan....We all met at the Stake Center full of excitement and anticipation of adventure lying ahead. We loaded our gear and headed for the campsite. The last 5 miles were driven through 4 inches of slippery, squishy mud and we crossed the overflowing river 4 times--the water covered 75% of the tires as we went through. I was driving--and surprisingly enough I wasn’t afraid of the road conditions. Normally, I would have seen the mud and turned around. However, with no further thought drove on because there was no doubt in my mind that we would arrive to our destination safe and sound. And I didn’t hear any fearful comments from the girls riding with me, either. After some deliberation from our stake priesthood leaders, everybody made it to our Youth Conference with little trouble. The Lord had a plan....He had a plan for the youth in our stake to feel His love for them and to learn a few things (and I think each person learned something).
At Youth Conference we were privileged to hear a couple speakers and, you know, as we listened to the speakers and shared our testimonies, it was amazing to me that as our bodies shivered in the cold—our souls were warm with the Spirit of the Holy Ghost.
I just have to say that our youth are strong, they are faithful, they’ve proven they can endure—they demonstrated being steadfast and immovable. We have strengthened friendships and made new friends (that’s my favorite part). So now that we’re home and back to the routine of life, we all need to continue our friendships, serve each other, keep the commandments and truly follow King Benjamin’s admonition to be “steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works” (Mosiah 5:15).
I know this is the true church of Jesus Christ led by Him through our prophets and our living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I love the Savior. I know His Atonement is real and it comforts me to know that I am a child of God. Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. I know the teachings in the scriptures are for us and I am strengthened when I study them. I know I am happiest when I am serving another and when I do what is right.
I am glad for the fun times and glad to be back in the Laney Rigmarow.
No comments:
Post a Comment