When I married Brian, I was accepted into The Laney Family with wide open arms (aka hugs). Brian's family is just great!! First of all, his parents know everything about anything and are alot of fun to be around. Mostly, I appreciate that they are always willing to listen to what we have to say (good or bad) and they don't take sides or meddle in our lives--I really appreciate that. Their home has an "open door" policy. They are always willing to help out when they can. The family is local, for the most part, which makes it easy to get together. Mom and Dad live in the same ward bounderies as my own parents...cool huh! I love it!
The oldest brother, Shon (Diane), lives in American Fork. It is educating to watch them raise teenagers. I am watching and learning good things from them. I have never heard Diane raise her voice and she has more patience than Job. Laura (Shawn), is the only girl in the family and she lives right here in Payson, Utah. She is one tough cookie (well, wouldn't you be if you had 5 brothers?). They, too are raising teenagers. Laura is easy going with a cheerful attitude. It amazes me how happy she always is. Micheal is the family's angel...literally. He died before I had a chance to know him, but he was a marvelous, charismatic young man (obviously because he completed his earthly mission by the age of 23). Brian was his sidekick and he is greatly missed by all. Then there is Patrick (Amy) who lives in Logan. He is a jokester and a half. They have 3 little kids like we do so we get along really well because we are in the same season of life. It's nice to have them because they understand our trials and triumphs. He is a super big help at home. I am always impressed by how hard he works to make and keep his wife happy. Joseph (Alene) is the youngest in the family. He and his wife lived in Provo until about a month ago when they fled the country to visit Korea for a while. I have to say that Joseph is not the easiest person to get along with, but I feel like I get along with him just fine. He and Alene are very intellectual and talk way above my head most of the time. We miss them!
Thanksgiving Dinner is always so yummy at Mom and Dad's--I look forward to it every year (even if we have to wait 3 hours to eat). Christmas time is fun at their house, too, because they decorate at least 5 Christmas trees and put one in every room of their house. Mom is a gourmet cook, I steal many recipes from her. Dad works harder than anyone I have ever met and his age doesn't seem to slow him down.
See what I mean? I have integrated into a wonderful family and I have many wonderful family connections. I am truly blessed!!
Next Friday's Feature: The Brian Laney Family
(Hee, Hee! This post will be good!)
3 comments:
I believe you are blessed to have each other-I wish you were part of my family. The holidays would be great!
Ya know, maybe we should have a friend Thanksgiving Dinner this year and ditch the family ones--that would be new and exciting wouldn't it?
I'm in! Now try convincing the rest of the family!
Post a Comment